Drumstix Dash 8K Race
2014 Drumstix Dash is Saturday, November 29, 2014!
The Drumstix Dash is a challenging after-Thanksgiving 8K race held at Springfield, Virginia’s scenic Burke Lake Park. This year it will be on Saturday, November 29, 2014. The Dash is a fun, community event that benefits HCSNV. Come join us as a runner or a volunteer and help us get Virginia moving in the right direction!
Burke Lake Park (map) - Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 9 AM
More details coming soon!
- or -
REGISTRATION FOR 2014 INFO TO BE POSTED AT A LATER DATE!
TO REGISTER ONLINE: Click here, then click Continue to register for the Drumstix Dash 8K and Family Fun Run!
TO REGISTER BY PAPER: Click here to download the registration document to be returned to HCSNV.
Highlights from 2012 race (over 400 participants!)
Highlights from 2011 race (over 400 participants!)
Our 2013 Sponsors! – Thanks to all for making this event possible!
The 2012 Drumstix Dash Race Raises Funds to Combat Homelessness in Northern Virginia
(by Liz Milner, reprinted with permission of NVAR.com)
Three hundred and seventy-five runners and walkers braved the cold at Burke Lake Park in Fairfax Station, Virginia on the Saturday following Thanksgiving to raise needed funds for a local housing non-profit. The race netted about $22,000 for Housing and Community Services of Northern Virginia, an organization that works to combat homelessness in our region.
The fourth annual Drumstix Dash, held this year on November 24, is co-sponsored by NVAR and Sheehy Ford, with other local businesses offering additional financial and in-kind assistance.
“We are proud that NVAR can support the valuable work that HCSNV does to serve our neighbors who are in danger of losing their homes,” said Christine Todd, NVAR CEO. “As Realtors®, we recognize and endorse the notion that everyone deserves a safe and sustainable home.”
HCSNV is a 501(c)(3) organization that offers financially challenged homeowners and renters services that include budget counseling, affordable housing search, crisis intervention and emergency financial assistance. You can learn more about HCSNV, make a donation or volunteer your help at hcsnv.org, or email email@example.com.
1. Thomas Daymude of Washington, D.C. was the fastest male runner on the course, with a time of 31.45 minutes.
2. Cathy Ross of Burke, Virginia was the fastest among female runners, completing the course in 35.16 minutes.
3. Clown Laura Shadlee put the “fun” in fundraiser during the one-mile fun run, setting a jaunty pace for a group that included runners and walkers of all ages.
4. Runners charged across the starting line to begin the 8K course that hugged the shores of Burke Lake.
5. Volunteer Sheila Oak provided a much-needed “Gangnam Style” warm up for runners on a morning where the mercury rested just above the freezing point.
6. Braddock District County Supervisor John Cook reminded those assembled that not everyone in Northern Virginia enjoyed a big Thanksgiving feast in a safe, comfortable home, citing close to 2,000 homeless people in Fairfax County.
7. Frank McCarthy, general manager of event co-sponsor Sheehy Ford and a race participant, emphasized the importance of community efforts to ensure appropriate housing for Northern Virginia residents.
The 2011 Drumstix Dash raised $10K to help the area’s needy stay in their homes.
The Dash also raised awareness of our cause in the community and local media with items about the event in the local media such as the Washington Post, the Springfield “Patch” and Fox TV-5.
Four hundred and ninety runners and walkers from 18 states met at Burke Lake Park in Springfield Virginia on Saturday, November 26 to help solve the problem of homelessness in Northern Virginia by participating in the Drumstix Dash Charity 8K race.
The Drumstix Dash is sponsored by the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors® (NVAR) and Sheehy Ford. Christine M. Todd, NVAR CEO, said, “Every American should have a place to call home and NVAR is proud to support the housing counseling programs that HCSNV provides to our neighbors in need.” These programs include housing and literacy counseling and emergency assistance to home owners and renters.
One of our major sponsors, the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors®, was represented by CEO Christine Todd and 2011 Chairman of the Board Karen Trainor. Thanks to all of our sponsors!
|Pre-race warm up was enthusiastically led by Sheila Oak, an HCSNV Board member.|
Walk, don’t run, if that’s how you feel! Participants can walk in our Family 1-Mile Fun Run (or Walk).
Either way, it is great exercise that benefits the prevention of homelessness in Northern Virginia.
|Professional course layout and ChronoTrack timing and scoring is provided for the more serious participants.|