Housing Counseling & Case Management
This is the heart of HCSNV’s homeless prevention effort.
- We use one-on-one budget counseling to help our clients stay in their homes.
- We work with households to define sustainable goals
- We monitor progress towards self-sufficiency
- We offer guidance as needed.
We have found that counseling without follow-up tends to be ineffective, so our counselors keep track of each family’s progress toward self-sufficiency.
For clients who need to find new homes, we:
- Identify an affordable housing unit
- Contact community-based organizations to obtain a security deposit should the client need financial assistance
- Negotiate with the Department of Housing and Community Development should the client have a housing choice voucher.
Every week, we publish the affordable housing locator which provides a current listing of “Lowest Market Rentals” in the area to help HCSNV clients in their search for affordable housing. The list is distributed to Fairfax County and other community-based agencies.